Application and Admission
The Student Services team is the central point of contact for all general inquiries about applying for a study program and for supporting the application process, while the Admissions Office checks and verifies the educational qualifications and issues the admission.
The Admissions Office is responsible for formal admission to bachelor, master and doctoral studies for people with Swiss or foreign educational qualifications. Below you will find the legal basis for application and admission to the University of Lucerne.
Please see the Admission Guidelines for the Academic Year 2023/2024
Admission Guidelines for the Academic Year 2022/2023
Studying in Switzerland
University of Lucerne
P.O. Box 4466
T +41 41 229 50 60
You can register for a Bachelor, Master or Doctorate programme.
You can apply from mid February for the fall semester and from mid September for the spring semester.
You should have electronic copies (PDF or JPEG) of the following documents ready for the application process:
- Passport size photograph
- Copy of passport or identity card
- Copy of residence permit (only for foreigners residing in Switzerland)
Qualifications (can be filed subsequently)
- Higher secondary school leaving certificate or other qualifications
- Academic degree diplomas
- Proof of German language competence (only for non-native speakers)
⇒not required for the Master Programme in Health Sciences
Please check the UniPortal for further information.
** Registration for the Master Study after your Bachelor Degree at the University of Lucerne
- If you’ll continue your study at the University of Lucerne at Master's level in the same subject, you won’t have to register for the Master Study once more. You will be enrolled further by paying the bill for the semester fees. The study level will be changed after the graduation ceremony of your Bachelor's Degree.
- If you wish to continue your study at the University of Lucerne but would like to change the subject for the Master's degree program, we kindly ask you to inform the Admissions Office by e-mail (studiendienste). @ unilu.ch
- If you would like to leave the University of Lucerne, please exmatriculate yourself via UniPortal. The bill for the semester fees will be then canceled afterwards.
For Bachelor and Master Studies application deadlines are
The application fee for the regular registration is CHF 100.00
- April 30
- November 30
The online application has to be finished including the necessary documentation within the above mentioned dates.
Late applications* are possible until: The late registration fee is CHF 250.00.
- June 30 for applicants who necessitate a visa.
- August 31 for applicants who do not necessitate a visa.
- January 31 for applicants who do not necessitate a visa
A supplementary fee of CHF 150.00 will be charged for late applications together with the term invoice.
If you are not sure whether or not need a visa for entrance into Switzerland,
please consult the website of the State Secretariat for Migration (SEM).
Deadlines for Doctoral Studies
- August 31
- January 31
To apply please go to the UniPortal.
An overview of the current application and tuition fees can be found here:
The application fee for all study levels and faculties is CHF 100.
The late application fee is CHF 250.
The payment has to be effected before the completion of the application process.
You can pay by credit card or by post/bank wire.
Please have your credit card details ready, if you intent to pay by credit card.
For payments by post/bank wire please find the information on the bankdetails PDF
The invoices for the tuition fees are sent mid of January (for the spring term)
and mid of July (for the fall term) by e-mail.
New Students: Please pay your fees at the latest until the day of your personal matriculation.
The receipt of your payment is then required for the definitive enrollment.
Enrolled Students: You have to pay your fees at the latest until the week the lectures start.
Once your payment has been registered, you can download via the Uniportal your confirmation of matriculation and revalidate your Campus Card.
If you do not want to continue to study, please deregister via the Uniportal.
Your bill will be cancelled afterwards.
Further information and dates