This section provides information and addresses in relation to childcare services and other matters for balancing studies, work and family.
If you have any questions about balancing studies, an (academic) career and family at the University of Lucerne, please contact the Office for Gender Equality.
It is possible to study part-time at the University of Lucerne. Please contact the academic advisors of your faculty.
Holiday program for school-aged children
Are you struggling with arranging child care during 12 weeks of school holidays?
From 17. - 21. July 2017, the Office for Equal Opportunity is going to organise another week of holiday activities for school-aged children. The offer is open for children of staff members and students of the University. More Information in German or by phone at the Office for Equal Opportunity.
Leave of absence
Students who are entirely unable to attend any lectures over a prolonged period, for example due to maternity, can be granted a leave of absence by the responsible Dean’s office upon written request.
- Diaper changing tables in the toilets on the ground floor and basement
- Baby's high chairs in the canteen
- Microwaves in the canteen
If you need a quiet room to breastfeed your child or to express and store your milk, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity. We are happy to help!
Kita Campus day care
The joint day care for the universities of Lucerne
Day care places are available to University of Lucerne students and employees for children aged 3 months to 5 years. Information on the day care centre is available from the www.kita-campus.ch website (in German), and manager Cornelia Glenz would be happy to answer any questions you may have.
+41 (0)41 228 72 40
Bringing your family
Do you plan your stay in Lucerne with the whole family?
- The website of the university's Welcome Centre provides help with issues such as entry to Switzerland, residence permits, insurance, accommodation, pensions, schools, life in Switzerland, etc.
- The Office for Gender Equality can help you with further questions concerning child care facilities, dual career adivce, etc.
Family immigration and dual career
Are you moving to Lucerne with your family for studies or a position at the university?
- The Welcome Centre website will answer many of your questions regarding the process.
- The Office of Equal Opportunity staff would be happy to answer any further questions.
- The university Equal Opportunity Committee has a fund which can also provide financial means for successfully migrating with your family.
Mobile toy chests
There are many reasons why parents might have to bring their children to work in an emergency. To make these occasions more pleasant for both parents and children, the Office of Equal Opportunity offers mobile toy chests. These contain age-appropriate materials to occupy children and can be borrowed free of charge from the Office of Equal Opportunity. They can also be booked in advance.
There are three chests containing toys suitable for small children (1-3 years), children aged 4-7 and older children respectively. If desired, a chest can also be supplemented with materials from a different chest.
This service is designed for University of Lucerne employees. The toy chests can be borrowed from the Office of Equal Opportunity. If there is no one in the office, please contact Hanna Wicki in the Academic Services secretary’s office.
- The chests are only available for borrowing Monday to Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The maximum borrowing period is one day.
- Please check against the inventory list that all contents are present before and after borrowing.
- In the event of any loss or damage, please inform the Office of Equal Opportunity.
- The loan will be documented using the borrowing log.
Office of Equal Opportunity
Simone Sprecher and Julia Grünenfelder
Telephone: 041 229 51 40 / 41
E-Mail: chancengleichheit @ unilu.ch
If Office of Equal Opportunity is empty:
Hanna Wicki, Academic Services secretary
Office: 4. A36
Telephone: 041 229 50 03
Kita Campus - University's day-care centre
Daycare places are available to University of Lucerne students, employees and lecturers for children aged 3 months to 5 years. Places at the Kita are highly in demand. We therefore recommmend that you make contact and pre-register in good time.
If you have any questions about the Kita Campus, please contact the Kita manager, Cornelia Glenz, directly! More Information under www.kita-campus.ch (in German only).
Cornelia Glenz, Manager
+41 (0)041 228 72 40
cornelia.glenz @ kita-campus.ch