Professor of Swiss and Private International Law, Business Law, Procedural Law and Comparative Law, Chairman of the University’s Center for Conflict Resolution (CCR)
Dr. iur., LL.M., Attorney-at-Law
T +41 41 229 53 30
daniel.girsberger @ unilu.ch
Frohburgstrasse 3, Room 4.A48
Daniel Girsberger is a founding member of the Faculty of Law of the University of Lucerne and a tenured professor for Swiss and International Private, Business and Procedural, as well as Comparative Law. Before accepting the Lucerne assignment, he taught at the University of Zurich Law School. He is also of counsel at Wenger & Vieli Ltd., a major Zurich business law firm (www.wengervieli.ch).
Daniel Girsberger completed his legal and doctoral studies at the University of Zurich, where he also taught as an adjunct professor. He has an LL. M. in Common Law Studies from Georgetown University Law School, where he also spent time as a Visiting Scholar, as well as at the Max-Planck Institute for Foreign and International Private Law in Hamburg. He has taught as an adjunct at various universities and institutions abroad, for example in Brazil, Lithuania, the United States, and at the Academy for International Law in The Hague, and participated as a member of the Swiss delegation at the Hague Conference for Unification of International Private Law. He currently heads the Working Group on Choice of Law of the Hague Conference on Private International Law. He is also the Vice President of the Board of the Swiss Association for International Law and a member (and former head) of the editorial committee of the Swiss Journal of International and European Law. Daniel Girsberger is the author of numerous publications focusing primarily on international business law and arbitration. He has also frequently acted as chairman, as arbitrator and counsel in numerous international commercial arbitration proceedings, both institutional and ad hoc, and has been an expert witness in various international litigation and arbitration proceedings.
(Co-) editor of book series/member of a journal's editorial board/(Co-) editor of scientific blog
- Furrer Andreas, Girsberger Daniel, Müller-Chen Markus, Handkommentar zum schweizerischen Privatrecht, (Co-) editor of book series, 2012–
- Favalli Daniele, Favre-Bulle Xavier, Furrer Andreas, Girsberger Daniel, Hagbegger Philipp, Killias Laurent, Weber-Stecher Urs (Swiss Arbitration Academy), Selected Papers on International Arbitration, (Co-) editor of book series, 2011–
- Furrer Andreas, Girsberger Daniel, Belser Eva Maria, Breitschmid Peter, Gächter Thomas, Roberto Vito, Waldmann Bernhard, Zivilprozessrecht, (Co-) editor of book series, 2011–
- Cassani Ursula, Diggelmann Oliver, Furrer Andreas, Kaddous Christine, Kolb Robert, Tobler Christa, Swiss Review of International and European Law, Member of a journal's editorial board, 2004–
- Furrer Andreas, Girsberger Daniel, Kaddous Christine, Kolb Robert, Tobler Christa, Cassani Ursula, Diggelmann Oliver, Langer Lorenz, Swiss Review of International and European Law, Member of a journal's editorial board, 2004–
- Roberto Vito, Waldmann Bernhard, Völkerrecht, (Co-) editor of book series, 2004–
- Girsberger Daniel, litera B, (Co-) editor of book series, 2003–
- Furrer Daniel, Girsberger Daniel, Belser Eva Maria, Breitschmid Peter, Gächter Thomas, Roberto Vito, Waldmann Bernhard, Erbrecht, (Co-) editor of book series