In the past, corresponding federal policies were strongly geared towards cooperation with Europe (European research organisations, EU Framework Programmes for Research and Technological Development). Research cooperation ties were also established with the United States, Canada and Singapore.
The Federal Council Dispatch on the Promotion of Education, Research and Innovation for 2008-2011 names several priority countries as potential partners with whom Switzerland would like to establish broader and deeper bilateral research cooperation ties.
For each priority country, a Swiss university and a corresponding institution in the partner country are assigned to act as Leading Houses (Bilateral promotion programmes).
The priority countries are:
- China (Leading House ETH Zurich)
- India (Leading House EPFL)
- Russia (Leading House University of Geneva)
- South Africa (Leading House University of Basel)
- Japan (Leading House ETH Zurich)
- Südkorea (Leading House ETH Zurich)
- Brazil (Leading House EPFL)
- Chile (Leading House EPFL)
Please check the different websites for more detailed information on the programmes.