Associate Director of the Center for HRM, Senior Research Associate, Lecturer
T +41 41 229 58 62
Frohburgstrasse 3, Room 3.A15
Anna Sender completed her Bachelor and Master studies in Economics at Warsaw School of Economics in Poland with specialization in Quantitative Methods and Information Systems. She worked several years for international companies in the financial sector in Poland and Switzerland. In November 2011 she joined the Chair in Human Resource Management of Prof. Dr. Bruno Staffelbach at the University of Zurich. She took a leadership role in KTI financed project “Innovative HR Concept for export development in China”, in SNF financed project “Improving the well-being and career outcomes of temporary agency workers” and in CRANET project (www.cranet.org) in Switzerland. In December 2015 she defended her PhD Thesis “Push and Pull Factors in Employee Turnover”. In August 2016 she joined University of Lucerne as an associate director of the Center for Human Resource Management.
Anna Sender’s research focuses on HRM phenomena on both organizational and individual level. Her research interests center around employee turnover, job insecurity and non-standard work arrangements. She holds a PhD from the University of Zurich (Thesis “Push and Pull Factors in Employee Turnover”). Anna Sender has been involved as a co-investigator and leader of KTI, SNF and other third party financed projects. Currently, she leads the CRANET project for Switzerland (www.cranet.org) and the third party financed project on Board of Directors and Executive Board compensation. Her research is mostly quantitative and incorporates both international, comparative perspectives as well as multi-level approaches.
Effects of pay transparency: A multi-level perspective
Compensation Practices and Policies of the Board of Directors (BoD), the Executive Board (EB) and Senior Management (C-1) of listed and large unlisted companies in Switzerland
The Global Compensation and Pay Transparency Study
The Cranfield Network on International Human Resource Management
Professional social networks and job change
Sender, A., Rutishauser, L., & Staffelbach, B. (2018). Embeddedness across contexts: A two‐country study on the additive and buffering effects of job embeddedness on employee turnover. Human Resource Management Journal, 28 (2), 340–356. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3515859
Sender, A., Arnold, A., & Staffelbach, B. (2017). Job security as a threatened resource: reactions to job insecurity in culturally distinct regions. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 28 (17), 2403–2429. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3515850
Sender, A. (2013). Arbeitsplatzunsicherheit. Spielt Kultur eine Rolle? In Bruno Staffelbach (Ed.), HR Spotlights. Geistesblitze zur Personalführung. Zürich: Verlag Neue Zürcher Zeitung.
Sender, A. (2013). Meine Chefin. In Bruno Staffelbach (Ed.), HR Spotlights. Geistesblitze zur Personalführung. Zürich: Verlag Neue Zürcher Zeitung.
Article in Public Media
Sender, A. (2018). Warum kommen toxische Mitarbeitende weiter? HR Today, (4).
Sender, A. (9 March 2017). Altersspezifische HR-Praktiken. HR Today, (6/7).
Sender, A. (2017). Schattenseiten der Lohntransparenz. HR Today, (10), 53.
Sender, A. (2016). Arbeitsplatzunsicherheit und deren Bedeutung für die Schweiz. HR Today, (10). Retrieved from https://www.hrtoday.ch/de/article/arbeitsplatzunsicherheit-und-deren-bedeutung-fuer-die-schweiz
Sender, A. (2015). Das Geschlecht beeinflusst die Lohnpräferenz. HR Today, (6). Retrieved from https://www.hrtoday.ch/de/article/das-geschlecht-beeinflusst-die-lohnpraeferenz
Sender, A. (2014). Vom Fairplay im Talentmanagement. HR Today, (7/8). Retrieved from https://www.hrtoday.ch/de/article/vom-fairplay-im-talentmanagement
Sender, A. (2012). Haben Sie ein Problem damit, wenn Ihr Chef eine Frau ist? HR Today, (6).
(working, research, annual) report, expert opinion, expertise
Arnold, A., Fulmer, I. S., Sender, A., Allen, D. G., & Staffelbach, B. (15 January 2018). Compensation and pay transparency practices in Switzerland: Survey report 2018.
Arnold, A., Fulmer, I. S., Sender, A., Allen, D. G., & Staffelbach, B. (2018). International Study on Compensation and Pay Transparency Practices.
Rutishauser, L., Furrer, S., Sender, A., & Staffelbach, B. (2018). Talent Management Framework: Evidence-based Guidelines for Swiss Companies Operating in China. Retrieved from https://www.unilu.ch/fileadmin/fakultaeten/wf/institute/hrm/dok/Forschung/TMF_final.pdf
Staffelbach, B., Sender, A., & Arnold, A. (2017). Studie zur Vergütungspolitik von Verwaltungsrat, Geschäftsleitung und höherem Management: Ergebnisse einer Befragung von börsenkotierten und nicht kotierten grossen Unternehmen in der Schweiz. Lucerne.
Staffelbach, B., Sender, A., & Schmid, A. (2014). HRM in Switzerland. People & Practices. CRANET Study Report.
- Turnover contagion in social media: The role of employability and job embeddedness. Lecture, European Academy of Management Conference, European Academy of Management, Reykjavik, 2018
- Different Pay Transparency Aspects and Components: An Organization-level Analysis. Lecture, 78th Annual Meeting of Academy of Management, Academy of Management, Chicago, 2018
- Volition of temporary agency workers as a predictor of agency commitment: The role of agency support? Lecture, 77th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Academy of Management, Atlanta, 2017
- All that glitters is not gold: Job insecurity and the role of HR devolution. Lecture, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Academy of Management, Atlanta, 2017
- If Leaving is not an option: The role of unemployment rates in the relationship between turnover intentions and organizational deviance. Lecture, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Academy of Management, Atlanta, 2017
- A Multilevel Study on the Role of Team Turnover for Stayers’ Turnover Intention. Lecture, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Academy of Management, Anaheim, California, 2016
- When colleagues leave: The role of team turnover rate and loss of ties for job embeddedness and turnover intention. Lecture, Workshop on Research Advances in Organizational Behavior and Human Resources Management, Université Paris Dauphine18 -19 May, 2016, Paris, 2016
- Too Embedded to be Pulled: Job Embeddedness and Turnover Driven by Unsolicited Job Offers. Lecture, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Academy of Management, Vancouver, 2015
- A Two-Wave Study on How HRM Practices Relate to Job Embeddedness in China. Lecture, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Academy of Management, Vancouver, 2015
- When colleagues leave: A multi-level study on individual job embeddedness and innovative work behavior. Lecture, European Academy of Management Conference, European Academy of Management, Warsaw, 2015
- With a little help from afar: Examining the effect of agency support on temporary employees’ well-being. Lecture, Workshop on Research Advances in Organizational Behaviour and Human Resources Management, Université Paris Dauphine, DRM-Management & Organisation, Paris, 2015
- Employee turnover in China and in Switzerland – lessons learned from comparative research project. Lecture, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Academy of Management, Philadelphia, 2014
- Impact of job embeddedness in turnover intentions in China and in Switzerland. Lecture, 13th International Human Resource Management Conference, Cracow University of Economics, Cracow, 2014
- Impact of uncertainty avoidance and performance orientation on the relationship between job insecurity and job satisfaction. Lecture, International Conference Sustainable Employability: Challenges for HRM Innovation, Radboud-Universität Nijmegen, Nijmegen, 2013
- Explaining Job Embeddedness in China and in Switzerland. Lecture, 9th EBES Conference, Eurasia Business and Economics Society, Rome, 2013
- All that glitters is not gold: Job insecurity and the role of HR devolution. Lecture, Lucerne Research Seminar, Faculty of Economics and Management, University of Lucerne, Lucerne, 2017
- CRANET-Study – International HR-Study on HR processes and instruments. Lecture, Forum Zurich Society for HR Management, Zurich Society for HR Management, Zurich, 2017
- Vergütungspolitik von VR, GL und höherem Management. presentation, Prämierung von beispielhaften Honorierungsmodellen, Swiss Institute of Directors, Luzern, 2017
- CRANET: HRM in der Schweiz im internationalen Vergleich. Lecture, 16. Treffen Netzwerk Zentrum für Human Resource Management, Universität Luzern, Luzern, 2017
- Same same but different: Examining the role of culture in the relationship between team-member exchange and turnover intention. Lecture, Research Seminar University of Lucerne, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät der Universität Luzern, Luzern, 2016