Dr. Anna Sender
Associate Director of the Center for HRM, Senior Research Associate, Lecturer
T +41 41 229 58 62
Frohburgstrasse 3, Room 3.A15
Anna Sender is the Associate Director of the Center for Human Resource Management as well as Senior Research Associate and Lecturer at the University of Lucerne. She received Master in Economics from Warsaw School of Economics, Poland and PhD in Management from University of Zurich, Switzerland. She worked several years for international companies in the financial sector in Poland and Switzerland. Her research focus includes talent retention, compensation and transparency, international HRM, and non-standard work (e.g., gig work, temporary work). She has acquired and led several applied research projects funded by Swiss National science Foundation and Innosuisse. She is the leader of the CRANET project (www.cranet.org) in Switzerland.
Anna Sender’s research focuses on HRM phenomena on both organizational and individual level. Her research interests center around employee turnover, job insecurity and non-standard work arrangements. She holds a PhD from the University of Zurich (Thesis “Push and Pull Factors in Employee Turnover”). Anna Sender has been involved as a co-investigator and leader of KTI, SNF and other third party financed projects. Currently, she leads the CRANET project for Switzerland (www.cranet.org) and the third party financed project on Board of Directors and Executive Board compensation. Her research is mostly quantitative and incorporates both international, comparative perspectives as well as multi-level approaches.
Self-nomination and transparency in Talent Management
Career success 4.0: An event-based intervention study among gig workers
It takes a fool to remain sane: Integrating the court jester figure within the HR Professional Role
The Global Compensation and Pay Transparency Study
The Cranfield Network on International Human Resource Management
Effects of pay transparency: A multi-level perspective
Compensation Practices and Policies of the Board of Directors (BoD), the Executive Board (EB) and Senior Management (C-1) of listed and large unlisted companies in Switzerland
Professional social networks and job change
Innovative Talent Management Framework for Swiss companies of MEM industry in China
Improving the well-being and career outcomes of temporary agency workers: A two-perspective examination of employability-enhancing practices
- Sender, A., Morf, M., & Feierabend, A. (2020). Aiming to Leave and Aiming to Harm: the Role of Turnover Intentions and Job Opportunities for Minor and Serious Deviance. Journal of Business and Psychology. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-020-09685-5
- Rutishauser, L., & Sender, A. (2019). Effect of Team-Member Exchange on Turnover Intention: A Cross-Cultural Perspective on a Selected Aspect of Employee Engagement. International Studies of Management & Organization, 49 (1), 43–62.
- Sender, A., & Korzynski, P. (2019). How peers’ updates on social media influence job search. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 35 (1), 1–12. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1108/JMP-10-2018-0467
- Schmid, A., & Sender, A. (2019). How social capital influences performance in family firms: the moderating role of nepotism. The International Journal of Human Resource Management. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2019.1674355
- Sender, A., Rutishauser, L., & Staffelbach, B. (2018). Embeddedness across contexts: A two‐country study on the additive and buffering effects of job embeddedness on employee turnover. Human Resource Management Journal, 28 (2), 340–356. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3515859
- Sender, A., Arnold, A., & Staffelbach, B. (2017). Job security as a threatened resource: reactions to job insecurity in culturally distinct regions. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 28 (17), 2403–2429. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3515850
- Krebs, B., Wach, B., Wehner, M., Heine, H., Reichel, A., Mayerhofer, W., … Ligthart, P. (2021). Human Resource Management in the Germanic context. In Parry, Emma, Brewster, Chris & Morley, Michael (Eds.), Handbook on Contextual Approaches to Human Resource Management. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Sender, A., Staffelbach, B., & Mayrhofer, W. (2021). One size fits all? Contextual factors and the profile of the HR director. In Parry, Emma, Brewster, Chris & Morley, Michael (Eds.), Handbook on Contextual Approaches to Human Resource Management. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Sender, A. (2013). Arbeitsplatzunsicherheit. Spielt Kultur eine Rolle? In Bruno Staffelbach (Ed.), HR Spotlights. Geistesblitze zur Personalführung. Zürich: Verlag Neue Zürcher Zeitung.
- Sender, A. (2013). Meine Chefin. In Bruno Staffelbach (Ed.), HR Spotlights. Geistesblitze zur Personalführung. Zürich: Verlag Neue Zürcher Zeitung.
- Sender, A. (2020). Ansteckungsgefahr in den sozialen Medien: Wer ist immun und wer lässt sich anstecken? HR Today, (10). Retrieved from https://www.hrtoday.ch/de/article/ansteckungsgefahr-in-den-sozialen-medien
- Sender, A. (2018). Warum kommen toxische Mitarbeitende weiter? HR Today, (4).
- Sender, A. (9 March 2017). Altersspezifische HR-Praktiken. HR Today, (6/7).
- Sender, A. (2017). Schattenseiten der Lohntransparenz. HR Today, (10), 53.
- Sender, A. (2016). Arbeitsplatzunsicherheit und deren Bedeutung für die Schweiz. HR Today, (10). Retrieved from https://www.hrtoday.ch/de/article/arbeitsplatzunsicherheit-und-deren-bedeutung-fuer-die-schweiz
- Sender, A. (2015). Das Geschlecht beeinflusst die Lohnpräferenz. HR Today, (6). Retrieved from https://www.hrtoday.ch/de/article/das-geschlecht-beeinflusst-die-lohnpraeferenz
- Sender, A. (2014). Vom Fairplay im Talentmanagement. HR Today, (7/8). Retrieved from https://www.hrtoday.ch/de/article/vom-fairplay-im-talentmanagement
- Sender, A. (2012). Haben Sie ein Problem damit, wenn Ihr Chef eine Frau ist? HR Today, (6).
- Arnold, A., Fulmer, I. S., Sender, A., Allen, D. G., & Staffelbach, B. (15 January 2018). Compensation and pay transparency practices in Switzerland: Survey report 2018.
- Arnold, A., Fulmer, I. S., Sender, A., Allen, D. G., & Staffelbach, B. (2018). International Study on Compensation and Pay Transparency Practices.
- Rutishauser, L., Furrer, S., Sender, A., & Staffelbach, B. (2018). Talent Management Framework: Evidence-based Guidelines for Swiss Companies Operating in China. Retrieved from https://www.unilu.ch/fileadmin/fakultaeten/wf/institute/hrm/dok/Forschung/TMF_final.pdf
- Staffelbach, B., Sender, A., & Arnold, A. (2017). Studie zur Vergütungspolitik von Verwaltungsrat, Geschäftsleitung und höherem Management: Ergebnisse einer Befragung von börsenkotierten und nicht kotierten grossen Unternehmen in der Schweiz. Lucerne.
- Staffelbach, B., Sender, A., & Schmid, A. (2014). HRM in Switzerland. People & Practices. CRANET Study Report.
- Who is who in Talent Management - Bringing clarity to talent identification in organizations. Lecture, EIASM Workshop on Talent Management, European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management, Online, 2020
- How Does Pay Transparency Affect Pay Knowledge and Satisfaction? A Field Intervention Study. Lecture, 80th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Academy of Management, Vancouver, 2020
- Understanding the interplay among pay characteristics, pay transparency and outcomes: An organization-level perspective. Lecture, 7th European Reward Management Conference (RMC), EIASM, Brussels, 2019
- Getting what they have asked for: Testing a proactivity intervention among temporary agency workers. Lecture, 19th EAWOP Congress, European Association of Work and Organizational Psychology, Turin, 2019
- Different Pay Transparency Aspects and Components: An Organization-level Analysis. Lecture, 78th Annual Meeting of Academy of Management, Academy of Management, Chicago, 2018
- Turnover contagion in social media: The role of employability and job embeddedness. Lecture, European Academy of Management Conference, European Academy of Management, Reykjavik, 2018
- Volition of temporary agency workers as a predictor of agency commitment: The role of agency support? Lecture, 77th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Academy of Management, Atlanta, 2017
- All that glitters is not gold: Job insecurity and the role of HR devolution. Lecture, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Academy of Management, Atlanta, 2017
- If Leaving is not an option: The role of unemployment rates in the relationship between turnover intentions and organizational deviance. Lecture, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Academy of Management, Atlanta, 2017
- A Multilevel Study on the Role of Team Turnover for Stayers’ Turnover Intention. Lecture, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Academy of Management, Anaheim, California, 2016
- When colleagues leave: The role of team turnover rate and loss of ties for job embeddedness and turnover intention. Lecture, Workshop on Research Advances in Organizational Behavior and Human Resources Management, Université Paris Dauphine18 -19 May, 2016, Paris, 2016
- Too Embedded to be Pulled: Job Embeddedness and Turnover Driven by Unsolicited Job Offers. Lecture, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Academy of Management, Vancouver, 2015
- A Two-Wave Study on How HRM Practices Relate to Job Embeddedness in China. Lecture, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Academy of Management, Vancouver, 2015
- When colleagues leave: A multi-level study on individual job embeddedness and innovative work behavior. Lecture, European Academy of Management Conference, European Academy of Management, Warsaw, 2015
- With a little help from afar: Examining the effect of agency support on temporary employees’ well-being. Lecture, Workshop on Research Advances in Organizational Behaviour and Human Resources Management, Université Paris Dauphine, DRM-Management & Organisation, Paris, 2015
- Employee turnover in China and in Switzerland – lessons learned from comparative research project. Lecture, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Academy of Management, Philadelphia, 2014
- Impact of job embeddedness in turnover intentions in China and in Switzerland. Lecture, 13th International Human Resource Management Conference, Cracow University of Economics, Cracow, 2014
- Impact of uncertainty avoidance and performance orientation on the relationship between job insecurity and job satisfaction. Lecture, International Conference Sustainable Employability: Challenges for HRM Innovation, Radboud-Universität Nijmegen, Nijmegen, 2013
- Explaining Job Embeddedness in China and in Switzerland. Lecture, 9th EBES Conference, Eurasia Business and Economics Society, Rome, 2013
- All that glitters is not gold: Job insecurity and the role of HR devolution. Lecture, Lucerne Research Seminar, Faculty of Economics and Management, University of Lucerne, Lucerne, 2017
- CRANET-Study – International HR-Study on HR processes and instruments. Lecture, Forum Zurich Society for HR Management, Zurich Society for HR Management, Zurich, 2017
- Vergütungspolitik von VR, GL und höherem Management. presentation, Prämierung von beispielhaften Honorierungsmodellen, Swiss Institute of Directors, Luzern, 2017
- CRANET: HRM in der Schweiz im internationalen Vergleich. Lecture, 16. Treffen Netzwerk Zentrum für Human Resource Management, Universität Luzern, Luzern, 2017
- Same same but different: Examining the role of culture in the relationship between team-member exchange and turnover intention. Lecture, Research Seminar University of Lucerne, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät der Universität Luzern, Luzern, 2016