Asst. Prof. Dr. Carla Sabariego
Assistant Professor of Rehabilitation and Healthy Ageing
T +41 41 229 59 17 • Room 1.B10 • carla.sabariego@ unilu.ch
Carla Sabariego is a clinical psychologist and holds a master’s degree in Public Health and Epidemiology from the Ludwig-Maximilians-University (LMU) Munich, Germany. She completed her PhD in health economics in 2011, with a focus on cost-effectiveness evaluations of rehabilitation programs. Her habilitation, completed in 2016, focused on the implementation of the WHO International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) as a conceptual framework in clinical rehabilitation and public health. She completed both her PhD and habilitation at the medical faculty of the LMU Munich, where she worked as a senior researcher and lecturer at the Institute of Public Health and Health Services Research for 15 years.
From 2011 to 2018 she was a consultant with the WHO in the area of functioning and disability measurement: she mainly contributed to the development, pilot testing and implementation of the “Model Disability Survey” – a dedicated functioning and disability survey – in several countries worldwide. She also participated in the development and implementation of the WHO Community-Based Rehabilitation (CBR) Indicators. From May 2017 to July 2018 she worked at WHO’s Disability and Rehabilitation Programme of the Department for Management of Noncommunicable Diseases, Disability, Violence and Injury Prevention, in Geneva.
Carla Sabariego has participated since 2010 in a range European Commission projects, including EMPOWER (“European platform to PromOte Wellbeing and hEalth in the woRkplace", principal investigator), PATHWAYS ("PArticipation To Healthy Workplaces And inclusive Strategies in the Work Sector", principal investigator), MARATONE (“Mental Health Training through Research Network in Europe”, principal investigator), SYNCHROS (“SYNergies for Cohorts in Health: integrating the ROle of all Stakeholders”, project scientist) and PARADISE (“Psychosocial fActors Relevant to BrAin DISorders in Europe”, work package leader). Due to the long-time work with European Commission projects and WHO, she has a very broad network of collaborators and solid experience in coordinating large projects.
At the University of Lucerne, she was appointed in January 2021 as Assistant Professor (tenure track) for Rehabilitation and Healthy Ageing, and currently heads the Rehabilitation Division and co-heads the WHO Collaborating Center for Rehabilitation in Global Health Systems at the Faculty of Health Sciences and Medicine. Due to her bridge professorship, she also leads the working group on Ageing, Functioning Epidemiology and Implementation, together with Professor Jerome Bickenbach, at the Swiss Paraplegic Research, in Nottwil.
- Kleinitz, P., Sabariego, C., & Cieza, A. (2022). Development of the WHO STARS: A Tool for the Systematic Assessment of Rehabilitation Situation. Arch Phys Med Rehabil.
- Olaya, B., Van der Feltz-Cornelis, C., Hakkaart-van Roijen, L., Merecz-Kot, D., Sinokki, M., Naumanen, P., … Seghezzi, F. (2022). EMPOWER Consortium, Haro JM. Study protocol of EMPOWER: A cluster randomized trial of a multimodal eHealth intervention for promoting mental health in the workplace following a stepped wedge trial design. Digit Health. https://doi.org/10.1177/20552076221131145
- Magaqa, Q., Paichadze, N., Sabariego, C., Blanchet, K., Zia, N., Bachani, A., … Mikkelsen, B. (2022). Framing rehabilitation through health policy and systems research: priorities for strengthening rehabilitation. Health Res Policy Syst. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12961-022-00903-5
- Sabariego, C., Fellinghauer, C., Lee, L., Kamenov, K., Posarac, A., Bickenbach, J., … Cieza, A. (2022). Generating comprehensive functioning and disability data worldwide: development process, data analyses strategy and reliability of the WHO and World Bank Model Disability Survey. Arch Public Health. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13690-021-00769-z
- Sabariego, C., Selb, M., Ehrmann, C., Sturzenegger, C., Lüthi, F., Léger, B., & Stucki, G. (2022). ICF-basierter Ansatz zur Wirkungsmessung von Rehabilitationsleistungen der Suva. Suva Medical 2022. Retrieved from www.suva.ch/de-ch/unfall/unfall/suva-medical
- Bernard, R., Pugliese, M., van der Feltz-Cornelis, C., Ortiz-Tallo, A., Salvador-Carulla, L., Lukersmith, S., … Sabariego, C. (2022). Strategies for Implementing Occupational eMental Health Interventions: Scoping Review. J Med Internet Res. https://doi.org/10.2196/34479
- Sabariego, C., Bickenbach, J., & Stucki, G. (2022). Supporting evidence-informed policy making in rehabilitation: A logic framework for continuous improvement of rehabilitation programs. Health Policy, 3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthpol.2021.11.007
- Fellinghauer, C., Sabariego, C., Chatterji, S., & Cieza, A. (2022). WHO Functioning and Disability Disaggregation (FDD11) Tool: A Reliable Approach for Disaggregating Data by Disability. Arch Public Health.
- Bickenbach, J., Sabariego, C., & Stucki, G. (2021). Beneficiaries of Rehabilitation. Arch Phys Med Rehabil.
- Sabariego, C., Kleinitz, P., & Cieza, A. (2021). Development of the WHO STARS: A tool for the Systematic Assessment of Rehabilitation Situation. Arch Phys Med Rehabil.
- Boes, S., Sabariego, C., Bickenbach, J., & Stucki, G. (2021). How to capture the individual and societal impacts of syndemics: the lived experience of COVID-19. BMJ Global Health.
- Lee, L., Mou, F., Um, B. A., Fellinghauer, C., Kohls, M., Cieza, A., & Sabariego, C. (2021). Identifying key environmental barriers experienced by persons with mild, moderate, or severe disability in Bankim Health Distrcit, Cameroon: a policy-targeted secondary analysis of data obtained with the World Bank and WHO model disability survey. Arch Public Health.
- Sabariego, C., Fellinghauer, C., Lee, L., Posarac, A., Bickenbach, J., Kostanjsek, N., … Cieza, A. (2021). Measuring functioning and disability using household surveys: metric properties of the brief version of the WHO and World Bank model disability survey. Arch Public Health.
- Sabariego, C., Bickenbach, J., & Stucki, G. (2021). Supporting Evidence-Informed Policy Making in Rehabilitation: A Logic Framework for Continuous Improvement of Rehabilitation Programs. Health Policy. Health Policy.
- Martinez-Hernaez, A., Bekele, D., Sabariego, C., Rodríguez-Laso, Á., Vorstenbosch, E., Rico-Uribe, L., … Maria Haro, J. (2021). The Structural and Intercultural Competence for Epidemiological Studies (SICES) guidelines: a 22-item checklist. BMJ Glob Health.
- Kleinitz, P., Sabariego, C., & Cieza, A. (2021). WHO Systematic Assessment of Rehabilitation Situation (STARS): Results of the Field Testing in Jordan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Solomon Islands, Laos, Haiti, and Guyana. Int J Environ Res Public Health.
- Bickenbach, J., Sabariego, C., & Stucki, G. (2020). Beneficiaries of Rehabilitation. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2020.09.392
- Integrating Rehabilitation in Primary Healthcare. invited expert, WHO Informal Consultation Meeting, WHO Geneva, Geneva - virtual participation, 2021
- O Índice de Funcionalidade Brasileiro (IF-Br) à luz da Pesquisa Modelo de Deficiência (MDS) da OMS. Key Note, 1º Seminário Brasileiro sobre Avaliação Biopsicossocial da Deficiência, CAMPUS VIRTUAL FIOCRUZ, online, 2022
- The WHO and World Bank Model Disability Survey Using the ICF to structure the collection and analyses of population data. Key Note, Symposium on International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) - Actualization of ICF in Rehabilitation and Social Service: from Theory to Application, Hong Kong Society for Rehabilitation, Hong Kong, 2022
- Ageing, functioning patterns and their environmental determinants in the SCI population: a comparative analysis across eleven European countries. Lecture, ISPRM 2022 16th World Congress, ISPRM, Lisbon, 2022
- Importance of Research for Healthy Ageing. Lecture, ISPRM International Rehabilitation Week, ISPRM, virtual participation, 2021
- Rehabilitation and Functioning. Key Note, International Seminar on Functioning and Rehabilitation of the National Rehabilitation Centre Ministry of Health and Welfare, Ministry of Health and Welfare, virtual participation, 2021
- Sabariego Carla, Frontiers in Rehabilitation Sciences (Specialty Chief Editor), Member of a journal's editorial board, 2022–
- Sabariego Carla, Frontiers in Rehabilitation Sciences (Research topic editor: Health Systems, Rehabilitation Care and COVID-19: Challenges and Opportunities), Member of a journal's editorial board, 2022–
- Sabariego Carla, frontiers in Rehabilitation Sciences, Member of a journal's editorial board, 2021–