María Vásquez Callo-Müller, LL.M.
T+41 41 229 54 52
Frohburgstrasse 3, 6002 Lucerne, Room 4.B50
María Vásquez Callo-Müller is a post-doctoral researcher at the European Research Council funded project: Trade Law for the Data-Driven Economy (Trade Law 4.0), led by Prof. Dr. Mira Burri.
María is an experienced researcher and consultant on digital trade issues. Before joining the University of Lucerne, María was a doctoral fellow at the World Trade Institute (WTI), University of Bern. She has also been a visiting doctoral researcher at the Max Planck Institute for Innovation and Competition. María regularly acts as a consultant to the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Policy Support Unit and has also consulted for other organizations such as the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) on digital trade policies.
María holds an LLM in Intellectual Property Law from the Munich Intellectual Property Law Center (a joint project of the Max Planck Institute for Innovation and Competition, the University of Augsburg, the Technische Universität München, and the George Washington University Law School, Washington, D.C.) and a Master of Advanced Studies in International Law and Economics (MILE) from the WTI. She received her Attorney-at-Law degree from Pontifical Catholic University of Peru Law School and, during her undergraduate studies, was a visiting student at the school of international relations at Peking University.
María’s research agenda lies at the intersection of the regulation of digital technologies and trade, particularly in the areas of intellectual property rights, data governance, and cybersecurity.
- Vásquez Callo-Müller María/Nath Upreti Pratyush, RCEP IP Chapter: Another TRIPS-Plus Agreement?, in: GRUR International 70/7/2021, pp. 667–671, https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1093/grurint/ikab047
- Bogdanova Iryna/Vásquez Callo-Müller María, Unilateral Cyber Sanctions: Between Questioned Legality and Normative Value, in: Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law 53/4/2021, pp. 911–954, https://www.transnat.org/post/unilateral-cyber-sanctions-between-questioned-legality-and-normative-value
- Nath Upreti Pratyush/Vásquez Callo-Müller María, Phase One US-China Trade Deal: What Does It Mean for Intellectual Property?, in: GRUR International 69/4/2020, pp. 389–393, https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1093/grurint/ikaa033
- Rojid F./Vásquez Callo María, Investment Law and Poverty: Continuing the Debate through UNCTAD’s Investment Policy Framework for Sustainable Development, in: The Journal of World Investment & Trade 15/5–6/2014, pp. 889–907
- Sauvé, Pierre/Polanco Lazo, Rodrigo/Álvarez Zárate, José Manuel (Eds.), Situating the Pacific Alliance in Global Electronic Commerce Regulation, in: The Pacific Alliance in a World of Preferential Trade Agreements, Lessons in Comparative Regionalism, Cham 2019, pp. 177–202, https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-78464-9
- Vásquez Callo-Müller María, Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and the Digital Economy, Bangkok 2021
- Vásquez Callo-Müller María, GDPR and CBPR: Reconciling Personal Data Protection and Trade, Policy Brief, 23, Singapore 2018, https://www.apec.org/Publications/2018/10/GDPR-and-CBPR---Reconciling-Personal-Data-Protection-and-Trade
- Vásquez Callo-Müller María/Bogdanova Iryna, What Is the Role of Unilateral Cyber Sanctions in the Context of the Global Cybersecurity Law-Making?, 10/05/2022, https://voelkerrechtsblog.org/what-is-the-role-of-unilateral-cyber-sanctions-in-the-context-of-the-global-cybersecurity-law-making/
- Vásquez Callo-Müller María/Bogdanova Iryna, Unilateral Cyber Sanctions and Global Cybersecurity Law-Making, 24/01/2022, http://opiniojuris.org/2022/01/24/unilateral-cyber-sanctions-and-global-cybersecurity-law-making/#:~:text=Since%20recently%2C%20cyber%20sanctions%20%E2%80%93%20unilateral,remains%20unregulated%20under%20international%20law
- Vásquez Callo-Müller María/Pérez Restrepo Camilo, Patent Cooperation Mechanisms in the Pacific Alliance: An Initial Assessment of the Effectiveness of the Patent Prosecution Highway for Intra-Regional Trade Integration, SECO Working Paper, 16, 06/12/2016, http://seco.wti.org/media/filer_public/18/ca/18cab13c-a98f-44f1-8361-23c249d12e59/working_paper_no_16_2016_vasquez_and_perez.pdf
- Vásquez Callo María, The regulation of trade in information and communication technology services in Chile, Colombia and Peru. A comparative analysis of the rules contained in regional trade agreements, SECO Working Paper, 16, 01/11/2014, http://seco.wti.org/media/filer_public/a2/30/a230bb24-3920-4047-9c4b-45f86c413fd5/wti_seco_wp_16_2014.pdf
- E-Commerce Regulation after MC12: Where Are We, Where Are We Heading? Chair/panel-moderation, Trade Law 4.0 Webinar, Universität Luzern, Luzern, 2022
- FTAS’ Contribution Towards a More Flexible Copyright Space: Possibilities and Limits. (Panel) contribution, Annual Meeting and Symposium of the Global Expert Network on Copyright User Rights, American University Washington College of Law, Washington, D.C., 2022
- Unilateral cyber sanctions and global cybersecurity law-making. (Panel) contribution, ESIL Research Forum: International Law and Global Security Regulating an Illusion, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, 2022
- Unilateral Cyber Sanctions and Global Cybersecurity Governance. (Panel) contribution, 11th Annual Cambridge International Law Conference: Strengthening Global Governance through International Law - Challenges and Opportunities, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, 2022
- Unilateral Cyber Sanctions. Discussion contribution, Cybersecurity Law and Policy Scholars Conference (CLPSC), University of Minnesota Law School, Online, 2021
- International copyright norms for the data-driven economy: How to enable data access through the international trade regime. (Panel) contribution, 14. Annual conference of European Policy for Intellectual Property (EPIP Conference): The future of IP, ETH Zürich, Zürich, 2019
- Intellectual Property Norms for the Data-driven Economy: Revisiting Limitations and Exceptions for Access and Reuse of Digital Data. (Panel) contribution, IP Researchers Europe Conference, World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), World Trade Organization (WTO), School of Law, University of Geneva (UNIGE), Geneva, 2019
- How to build interoperability? Conceptualizing the Asia-Latin America relationship for the data economy’. (Panel) contribution, IV Academic Seminar Latin America-Asia Pacific: Latin America and Asia: Between the digital revolution and a challenged globalization, Latin American Integration Association (ALADI), Andean Development Bank (CAF), United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), Montevideo, 2019
- Setting the Intellectual Property Norms for the Data-Driven Economy: The Remaining Role for Multilateralism and the Increasing Importance of Preferential Trade Agreements. (Panel) contribution, 6th MIPLC Alumni Conference: The World of IP: Caught Between Globalism and Nationalism, Munich Intellectual Property Law Center (MIPLC), München, 2018
- MSMEs and the Digital Economy. Presentation, First Meeting of the Asia-Pacific MSME Policymakers Network: MSMEs and the digital economy, UNESCAP, Bangkok, 2021
- How to Build Interoperability? Europe, East Asia and the Data Economy. Presentation, International Political Economy of East Asia, Jean Monnet Lecture Series on the EU’s role in digital connectivity, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Bochum, 2020