Prof. Dr. Lena Maria Schaffer
Lena Maria Schaffer, born the 4th of December of 1979 in Schorndorf (D) studied Management/Administration Science at the University of Constance, Warwick (UK) and Bologna (IT). She was since July 2014 a scientific assistant at Chair for International Politics. She wrote her promotion at the ETH Zürich on the subject of "Voluntary climate change initiatives in the U.S.: Analyzing participation in space and time". After finishing her dissertation she had a postdoctoral position at the research group "International Relations" at the ETH Zürich and was active in different projects on the area of climate policy and trade governance. After another postdoc position at the University of Constance, as of the autumn term 2016, she teaches and researches as assistant professor, and as of the autumn term 2022, as full professor at the University of Lucerne.
- Koubi, V., Schaffer, L., Spilker, G., & Bohmelt, T. (2022). Climate events and the role of adaptive capacity in (im)mobility. Population and Environment, (43), 367–392. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.6539385
- Schaffer, L. M., & Umit, R. (2022). Public Support for National vs. International Climate Change Obligations. Journal of European Public Policy. Retrieved from https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13501763.2022.2099957
- Lüth, M., & Schaffer, L. M. (2022). The Electoral Importance and Evolution of Climate Related Energy Policy: Evidence from Switzerland. Swiss Political Science Review. https://doi.org/10.1111/spsr.12520
- Umit, R., & Schaffer, L. M. (2022). Wind Turbines, Public Acceptance, and Electoral Outcomes. Swiss Political Science Review.
- Schaffer, L. M., Oehl, B., & Bernauer, T. (2021). Are policymakers responsive to public demand in climate politics? Journal of Public Policy. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1017/S0143814X21000088
- Yazici, R. Ü., & Schaffer, L. M. (2020). Attitudes towards carbon taxes across Europe: The role of perceived uncertainty and self-interest. Energy Policy.
- Schaffer, L. M., & Spilker, G. (2019). Self-interest vs. Sociotropic Considerations: An Information-based Perspective to Understanding Individuals’ Trade Preferences. Review of International Political Economy. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/09692290.2019.1642232
- Koubi, V., Böhmelt, T., Spilker, G., & Schaffer, L. (2018). The Determinants of Environmental Migrants’ Conflict Perception. International Organization, 72 (4), 905–936. https://doi.org/doi:10.1017/S0020818318000231
- Schaffer, L., & Spilker, G. (2016). Adding Another Level: Individual Responses to Globalization and Government Welfare Policies. Political Science Research and Methods, 4 (2), 399–426.
- Koubi, V., Spilker, G., Schaffer, L., & Bernauer, T. (2016). Environmental Stressors and Migration: Evidence from Vietnam. World Development, 79, 197–210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2015.11.016
- Oehl, B., Schaffer, L. M., & Bernauer, T. (2016). How to measure public demand for policies when there is no appropriate survey data? Journal of Public Policy; J. Pub. Pol., 1–32. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0143814X16000155
- Schaffer, L., & Bernauer, T. (2014). Explaining Government Choices for Promoting Renewable Energy. Energy Policy, 68, 15–27.
- Spilker, G., Schaffer, L., & Bernauer, T. (2012). Does Social Capital Increase Public Support for Economic Globalization? European Journal of Political Research, 51 (6), 756–784.
- Hofmann, T., & Schaffer, L. (2009). Einmal Frieden und zurück? Friedensmissionen und die wiederkehrende Eskalation innerstaatlicher Gewalt. Politische Vierteljahresschrift, 34.
- Schneider, G., & Schaffer, L. (2005). Die Prognosegüte von Wahlbörsen und Meinungsumfragen zur Bundestagswahl 2005. Politische Vierteljahresschrift, 45 (4), 674–681.
- Schaffer, L. M., & Levis, A. (2021). Public Discourses on (Sectoral) Energy Policy in Switzerland: Insights from Structural Topic Models. In Hettich, Peter & Kachi, Aya (Eds.), Swiss Energy Governance. Cham: Springer Nature.
- Schaffer, L. (2021). The Politics of Green Taxation. In Hakelberg, Lukas & Seelkopf, Laura (Eds.), Handbook on the Politics of Taxation. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Schaffer, L., & Bernauer, T. (2012). Climate Change Governance. In Levi-Faur, David (Ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Governance (pp. 441–456). Oxford: Oxford University Press. Retrieved from http://levifaur.wiki.huji.ac.il/index.php/HandbookofGovernance
- Schaffer, L. M., & Umit, R. (18 March 2025). Do they realize? Understanding individuals’ preferences towards energy transition.
- Schaffer, L. M., & Spilker, G. (2020). Individual Labor Migration Preferences: Culture, Context or Competition?
- Koubi, V. (2019). Environmental Migration: Vulnerability, Adaptation, and Trapped Populations: at the revise and resubmit stage for publication.
- Schaffer, L. M., & Umit, R. (18 December 2018). Public Support for National vs. International Climate Change Obligations.