Prof. Dr. Gabriel Abend
Gabriel Abend studied political science and history at the Universidad de la República in Montevideo, Uruguay. His education continued in “America,” where he got a PhD in sociology from Northwestern University. Seeing as capitalism wasn’t going to go away any time soon, he decided to sell his labor-power to New York University, first as an Assistant Professor of Sociology, afterward as a tenured Associate Professor of Sociology.
Abend is the recipient of the 2017 Lewis A. Coser Award for “Theoretical” Agenda Setting. His book, Words and Distinctions for the Common Good, came out with Princeton University Press in 2023. It’s a real page-turner—satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.
For more information: https://sites.google.com/site/gabend/g
Sociology of culture
Science and technology studies
Sociology of knowledge
Sociology of morality
Philosophy of science
Logic of inquiry
- Abend, G. (2022). Making Things Possible. Sociological Methods & Research, 51 (1), 68–107.
- Abend, G. (2019). Thick Concepts and Sociological Research. Sociological Theory, 37 (3), 209–233. https://doi.org/10.1177/0735275119869979
- Abend, G. (2019). Moral decisionism and its discontents. Journal for the Theory of Social Behaviour, 49 (1), 59–83. https://doi.org/10.1111/jtsb.12191
- Abend, G. (2018). The Limits of Decision and Choice. Theory and Society, 47 (6), 804–841. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11186-018-09333-1
- Abend, G. (2018). Outline of a Sociology of Decisionism. British Journal of Sociology, 69 (2), 237–264. https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-4446.12320
- Abend, G. (2018). The Love of Neuroscience: A Sociological Account. Sociological Theory, 36 (1), 88–116. https://doi.org/10.1177/0735275118759697